Since my college days, I’ve always started my day off with coffee. At one point, I became a little too codependent on it, where I felt like I could not wake up in the morning if I didn’t drink coffee, and I would sometimes drink up to 5 cups a day. Last year though, with the whole juice cleanse craze, I did my very first 3 day juice cleanse, where I was only allowed to drink juice, which meant I had to give up my coffee for 3 whole days! I did cheat (I ate fruits and nuts, and a few vegetables here and there) but I didn’t drink any coffee. Giving this up was the hardest thing fort me during my juice cleanse, but afterwards I suddenly no longer became dependent on coffee, and have since found my LOVE for drinking green juice! Almost every morning now, I start my day off with green juice on an empty stomach. Studies say it’s best to drink green juice on an empty stomach so your body can absorb all of the good nutrients.
It’s not easy, and it’s a lot of work (it can get messy too) but I do it because it’s healthy, tastes good, and makes me feel good. There are several different green juice recipes I use, but here is a new one that my friend recently introduced to me.Ingredients:
- 1/2 of bell pepper
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 3 handfuls of kale
- 2 handfuls of baby arugula
- 1 prepacked organic cilantro
- 1 giant slice of pre-packed pineapple
- 1 green apple
- Juicer (I use a Breville Juicer)
Some tips on making your own green juice:
- Drink your green juice on an empty stomach, or wait at least 2 hours after a meal to drink a green juice, then wait 20 mins after drinking your green juice to consume a meal.
- Drink your juice within 7-15 minutes for most nutritional benefits.
- Don’t add too many sweet fruits or vegetables, as you’ll be consuming too much sugar. This was one of my biggest mistakes at first as I love fruit. I’d add bananas, apples, strawberries, etc… altogether! Apparently, this is a big no-no.
What are some of your favorite green juice/smoothie recipes? Any other combos I should try?